Facts and achievements
The Times and Sunday Times University rankings 2018
According to these rankings we are the top modern university in London*. As well as this, we are also:
- placed 56th in the UK
- placed 8th in London
- 8th modern university in the UK.
National Student Survey 2017
We are the best modern University in London for overall satisfaction**. Other achievements include:
- Number two in the UK for student voice
- Number one student union in England
- Best modern University in London for Learning Resources and Organisation and Management
- Five courses have achieved 100% satisfaction, they are:
- BA Accounting and Finance- BA Acting- BSc Midwifery- BSc Nursing – Children’s Nursing- FdSc Health and Social Care: Assistant Practitioner
TEF - Teaching Excellence Framework
UWL has been awarded a TEF Silver. According to the panel the UWL submission demonstrated evidence of:
- A strategic approach to course design and assessment practices which employers value highly and which stretches, challenges and supports students
- embedded high quality peer mentoring and targeted financial support programmes to support student engagement
- investment in high quality physical and digital resources used by students to enhance learning, with students fully involved in the strategic design of facilities in partnership with the University
- embedding developments from the forefront of research, scholarship or practice within academic programmes
- the implementation of an institutional culture that facilitates, recognises and rewards excellent teaching across the University.
The awarded is granted by HEFCE (Higher Education Funding Council for England), which aims to create and sustain the conditions for a world-leading system of higher education.
Guardian University Guide
We are the best modern university in London and the number 1 increase in the UK - up 38 places to 58 - in the Guardian's University Guide 2018.
- 97% of our students are in employment or further study within six months of graduating ***
- Our graduates have the second highest average starting salary than graduates of other modern university in London.***
- We provide a high quality career-focused student experience connected to the world of work, underpinned by work placements.
- We are the fourth best university in the UK for proportion of mature students****
- Climbed 26 places in The Complete University Guide 2018 - the biggest in the UK
- Second highest spending on facilities of any UK university, according to the Complete University Guide 2018.
- We invested over £150 million into the University of West London. The university now boasts modern facilities that improves students’ learning and social experience.
- New facilities include a social space in the heart of campus, performance space with seating capacity of over 220, Blast Radio studio for the student radio station, new catering facilities, a new library and a new mock court room.
Awards and achievements
- Winner of 'Outstanding Leadership and Management Team' at THE Leadership and Management Awards 2017.
- The Vice-Chancellor was selected as a finalist for the Most Inspiring University Leader of the Year 2015.
- Law Student Buki Ajimobi won the Young Enterprise Start Up Women in Business Programme Businesswoman of the Year Award.
- Computer Science student Obaro I Johnson won a London Higher award for designing a London is my Campus app for students.
- London College of Music has an ongoing partnership with the English Chamber Orchestra.
- The School of Computing and Engineering has one of the first higher education partnerships in the UK with Amazon Web Services.
Vice-Chancellor Professor Peter John speaks to London Live about our jump in the The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2017 league tables.