About the School
The School of Computing and Engineering prides ourselves as leaders in the Science, Engineering, Technology and Mathematics (STEM) fields through our courses, research and partnership programmes.
Outstanding teaching and facilities
Our courses rank highly with students for satisfaction as the recent National Student Survey shows, and we are proud of our success of a 97% employment rate for our students, with 70% of students working in their studied discipline.
We offer a range of innovative undergraduate and postgraduate courses in:
- applied project management
- applied sound engineering
- built environment
- civil and environmental engineering
- electrical and electronic engineering
- IT management for business
- degree Apprenticeship in Digital and Technology Solutions
Many of our courses are accredited, and we work and collaborate closely with 60 companies, enterprises and institutions.
Our staff provide you with both the high-quality teaching and the personal attention to make the most of your University education.
We continue to invest our facilities, offering you cutting-edge equipment and software for teaching, learning and research.
We offer a range of study options to allow you to choose a course that suits your skills and goals. Many of our courses offer:
- Foundation year to provide you with an additional year of study to prepare you for the full Bachelor’s degree
- Part time study with modules running in the evenings or weekends to fit your work/life needs.
Research and innovation
The School has an extremely vibrant research community, with nine research groups. Over the last three years, our staff contributed to the STEM debate, publishing over 160 journal, book chapters and international conference papers.
Current research and innovation collaboration projects include:
- Integrating user-centred design in Siemens Body Scanners, funded by Innovate UK
- Case-Based Reasoning (CBR) for cyanide-free gold leaching, in collaboration with Aalto University in Finland
- Embedding environmental sustainability into engineering technology, a partnership programme between King’s College London, BBC Research and Development Team and UWL
- Working closely with Amazon Web Services on the AWS Educate programme
- Collaboration with Hilton Worldwide and the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE)
- Applications of Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR), a partnership with the Royal Kew Botanic Gardens and Roma-Tre University
Whatever your academic needs, we will do everything we can to help you achieve your full potential
Professor Amir Alani
Head of School
Our facts and achievements
**Modern universities are defined as those higher education institutions that were granted university status in, and subsequent to, 1992. UWL was ranked first when compared to all other modern universities ranked in the National Student Survey 2017.