Improving Treatment Outcomes for Patients with Dual Diagnosis - Level 7
Why choose this course?
The aim of this module is enable practitioners to:
- develop an understanding of the vulnerability and multiple needs of people with mental health problems and problematic substance misuse
- enhance knowledge and competence necessary to provide evidence-based effective treatment interventions in line with current policies and guidelines
- work effectively with other agencies.
It will focus on:
- Definitions and epidemiology of Dual Diagnosis
- Challenges for service providers and users
- Policy development of Dual Diagnosis
- Drug classification and drug effects
- Diagnosis / Classification, recognition of drug use, abuse and dependence
- Neuropsychology of mental health and substance misuse
- Vulnerable groups
- Learning disabilities- mental illness and substance misuse
- Concept of stigma and stereotyping in relation to mental health and substance use: impact on help seeking behaviour and treatment
- Dual Diagnosis and Cultural Diversity
- Substance misuse assessment
- Risk assessment and risk management
- Models of treatment/ different treatment approaches: strengths and limitations
- Motivational Interviewing, elements of CBT for relapse prevention, mindfulness
- Pharmacological treatment and drug interactions
- Formulating a care plan with a dual diagnosis client
- Care Management: difficulties and available options
- Good practice in record keeping.
This course is also available at Level 6: Advanced Dual Diagnosis: Exploring Interventions for People with Mental Health and Substance Misuse Problems
Evidence of study at Level 6 (Degree Level).
How will I be assessed?
The assessment for this module is:
- Essay 100%
How to apply
Choose your preferred start date and location from the options below and click on the 'Apply online' link. We recommend your application is submitted to the University at least two weeks prior to the start of the course.
After your application is accepted and you have been offered a place on the course, you will be sent information about how to enrol. You must complete enrolment before your course starts.
|Start date||Location||Important dates||Course leader||Application link|
|16 January 2018||
Study days (1:30 pm - 4:30 pm):
|Raffaella Milani||Apply online|
This can be taken as a standalone module or the credits can be used towards one of our new and exciting courses:
- PgCert/PgDip/MSc Professional Practice (badged awards available e.g. Substance Misuse, Complex Mental Health Needs)
- MSc Advanced Practice (Substance Misuse)