The University is committed to further developing Technology-Enhanced Learning (TEL) in teaching, learning and assessment to improve our students' educational experience. The INSTIL TEL team's work includes:
- Promoting TEL
We work with staff to encourage best practice approaches and increase the use of TEL online and in the classroom.
- Providing guidance and support
We offer one-to-one support, provide guidance material and deliver workshops on a range of learning technologies.
- Developing blended and distance learning
We work with staff to develop the University's provision of distance and blended learning modules.
- Managing learning technologies
We manage the use and further development of the University's learning technologies.
Support and guidance
We provide support and guidance for staff using Blackboard, Turnitin, UWL Replay, Poll Everywhere, Pebblepad and Xerte. We can also advise on the use of other technologies in learning, teaching and assessment. TEL Support for staff:
- Phone: x4455 (or 020 8209 4455)
- Email: email@example.com
- Office: Ealing Campus, BY.03.020
- Website: www.uwl.ac.uk/telsupport (UWL login required)
TEL Support is available 9am - 5pm, Monday to Friday.
We offer one-to-one and group training sessions on the University’s learning technologies. You can request and book training on the TEL Support website.
Sharing best practice and developing the use of TEL
We promote the effective use of technology in learning, teaching and assessment activities through our events, such as the Show-&-TELs, case studies on the informED blog, and our work within Schools.
Each of the University's Academic Schools has a named contact, an Academic Developer in TEL, who works with staff in the Schools to understand the School's requirements, promote good practice in TEL, coordinate training as well as sourcing and collaborating on projects. The named contact also attends School Boards and other relevant meetings.
See Our Team for individual contact details
Learning materials development
We create online learning materials for blended and distance learning courses. We can also provide guidance on developing your own materials and on the instructional design of blended learning courses.
University learning technologies
The TEL team support the use of the University’s core learning technologies:
- Blackboard - the online home for all courses and modules at the University. It is used for learning activities and administration including: access to learning materials and information; e-assessment; announcements and discussion.
- Turnitin - an e-assessment tool integrated into Blackboard. It is used for online grading and for checking the originality of students’ assessments.
- PebblePad - an online personal portfolio tool for students to record their achievements and reflect on what they have learnt.
- Poll Everywhere - a polling and feedback tool for use in the classroom with students’ own mobile devices.
- UWL Replay - the lecture recording system. It records audio and the computer screen in specific classrooms but can also be used at any computer to create 'personal' recordings.
- Xerte -an content authoring tool
We also provide guidance on the application of other general technologies to teaching and learning including university ones such as Office 365, as well as external tools such as Twitter.
For further information on our learning technologies, see: www.uwl.ac.uk/telsupport