University awarded Silver in Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
The University of West London (UWL) has achieved a Silver award in the Teaching Excellence Framework: Year two (TEF), in what is an outstanding result for London’s number one modern university and in particular recognises its strategic and innovative approach to curriculum, teaching excellence and focus upon a positive student experience leading to excellent outcomes for its students.
The award of TEF Silver underlines UWL’s status as The Career University and places it among the best institutions for teaching in London. It recognises that UWL’s provision is of high-quality and consistently exceeds sector benchmarks, resulting in excellent outcomes for very high proportions of UWL students from all backgrounds, who progress to highly skilled employment or further study on graduating, notably exceeding the provider benchmark.
Commenting on the award, UWL Vice-Chancellor, Professor Peter John, said: ‘This is an excellent result for the University. Achieving a Silver award in the Teaching Excellence Framework is a key milestone and testament to our ambitious and well executed strategic plan, which is underpinned by investment in infrastructure, academic staff and our curriculum.
‘We already have one of the best graduate employment rates in the country and we are in the top quartile for salaries of graduates entering full-time employment in the UK. This latest outstanding performance further consolidates our reputation as a provider of high quality, career focused education programmes which transform the lives of our students. We intend to build on this success as we aim to become the best contemporary University in the UK, not just London.’
In awarding UWL a TEF Silver, the TEF panel made many positive and evidence-based judgements about the University against a range of TEF criteria. According to the panel the UWL submission demonstrated evidence of:
• A strategic approach to course design and assessment practices which employers value highly and which stretches, challenges and supports students.
• Embedded high quality peer mentoring and targeted financial support programmes to support student engagement.
• Investment in high quality physical and digital resources used by students to enhance learning, with students fully involved in the strategic design of facilities in partnership with the University.
• Embedding developments from the forefront of research, scholarship or practice within academic programmes.
• The implementation of an institutional culture that facilitates, recognises and rewards excellent teaching across the University.
UWL Pro Vice-Chancellor (Education), Professor Nick Braisby, said: ‘We are enormously proud to achieve TEF Silver. The award reflects the fact that we place students at the heart of everything we do. It confirms the excellence of our teaching, learning resources and student support and the help we give our students to succeed on their courses and secure outstanding employment outcomes. The award also reflects the essential contribution made by our students and Students' Union to the University’s continuing success and they share equally in this fantastic achievement.’
Find out more about courses at the University of West London. Check out the University on Twitter: @UniWestLondon