Help with funding

Student in class
You may be able to receive help with your tuition fees and living costs

This page may help you answer some of the questions you have about funding for new students starting in the 2016/2017 academic year, and for continuing students.

You may be able to receive help with your tuition fees and/or help with living costs. This is usually in the form of loans.

The funding you may apply for will depend on several factors including your personal eligibility, your course and your mode of study.

  • Home students can apply for help towards the cost of their tuition fees, and also loans for living and course costs.
  • EU students can apply for help towards the cost of their tuition fees.
  • Overseas students should see our financial support page in the international section of this website.

See are you a home, EU or overseas student for more information. Please note that these rules are different from those governing which category you belong to for paying fees.

See information about what financial support is available for:

You can also:

New full-time undergraduate Home and EU students

New full-time undergraduate Home and EU students who will be starting a course at the University of West London in the 2016/17 academic year are able to apply for a student loan to cover the cost of their university tuition fees.

Home students may also be eligible for a Maintenance Loan to cover the costs of study.

If you are a full-time home/EU undergraduate student starting a programme in 2016-17 paying the £9,000 fee you should be eligible for the Aspire Bursary. Full time students will receive £100 each year throughout their Undergraduate study (up to 3 years).

For more information about student finance, read the Student Finance guide and the guide to how and when to apply.

To apply online for student finance, visit the Direct.gov student finance website.

Part-time undergraduate students

New and continuing students who started their course on or after 1 September 2012 and are studying a part-time course with a ‘course intensity’ of 25% or more can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan.

To apply, visit the Direct.gov website.

If you are a part-time home/EU undergraduate student starting a programme in 2016-17 paying the £9,000 fee you should be eligible for the Aspire Bursary. Part time students will receive £50 each year throughout their Undergraduate study (up to 3 years).

Continuing students who start a course before 1 September 2012 can apply for a Course Grant and a Fee Grant based on household income. To qualify for a Course Grant or Fee Grant, you must be studying at a course intensity of at least 50% of the full-time equivalent.

To apply visit the Direct.gov website.

EU students following the referendum

Following the EU Referendum, the current advice from The Student Loans Company (SLC) in England in relation to EU student funding is as follows:

  • EU nationals or their family members, currently in higher education, and who are assessed as eligible to receive loans and/or grants from the SLC, will continue to receive these loans and grants until they finish their course. This applies to all student finance from the SLC for students in England for which EU nationals are eligible. This includes loans to cover tuition fees (for those resident in the EEA for three years), loans and grants for maintenance (limited to those resident in the UK for at least three years), and some other grants and allowances.
  • The rules applying to EU nationals, or their family members, who have applied for a place at university from this August to study a course which attracts student support are unchanged. 

The SLC will assess these applications against existing eligibility criteria, and will provide loans and/or grants in the normal way. EU nationals, or their family members, who are assessed as eligible to receive grants and/ or loans by the SLC will then be eligible for the duration of their study on that course. These eligibility criteria set out that for students beginning study from this August, EU nationals must have been resident in the UK for at least five years in order to apply for a maintenance loan.

Further, regarding students from the EU and the UK taking part in the Erasmus programme,  there has been no change to Erasmus students' immigration status and they will continue to be eligible for their Erasmus grants until any new policies come into effect.

Nursing, Midwifery and Allied Health funding

The Funding Clinic website provides funding information for anyone studying nursing, midwifery and the allied health professions in England.

Help for students with dependants

If you’re a full-time student you may be able to get extra financial help if you have children or an adult who depends on you financially. Dependants’ grants are paid in addition to your main student finance and don’t normally have to be paid back, unless you leave your course early.

For more detailed information, including how to apply for funding, see the Dependants’ Grant guide.

Disabled Students' Allowance

Disabled students may be eligible to receive some additional funding. Please see the guide to Disabled Students’ Allowances for more information.

Funding for Muslim students

Muslim students should also see our funding for Muslim students page.

Contact us

You can also speak to the Advice Team at our Ealing site, West London campus.

Note that some of the information about funding in the information sheets only applies to students who live in England. If you normally live in another UK country, you should also look at the relevant website below:

Points to note

Getting your student loan and other funding paid

The University of West London liaises with both the Student Loans Company (SLC) and NHS to enable your loans and bursaries are paid directly into your nominated bank account.

Once you have fully completed your yearly enrolment we will be able to advise the SLC and NHS that your loan and other funding entitlement (eg grants) can be activated.

To ensure this happens you will need to complete an online application for Student Finance 2016/17 on the Direct.gov’s website from spring 2016.  Please note it will take a minimum of six weeks to process your application.

For NHS students - Once you accept your offer of a place at the University of West London, the NHS will notify you to apply for your NHS Bursary online. To ensure you receive your NHS Bursary please complete and submit your application in plenty of time in order for your application to be processed and your funds released ready for the start of term.

Discretionary Support Fund (DSF)

This is a discretionary fund, provided to help home students access and remain in higher education in times of financial hardship. For more information please see our general help with funding page.

Benefits/ Tax Credits

Studying may affect your eligibility for and entitlement to state benefits, particularly if you study on a full-time course. Several types of benefit may be affected.

Even if you remain eligible to claim, entitlement to certain elements of student funding may still reduce your (or your partner's) benefits (including if you are entitled to a student loan but decide not to take it or all of it).

It is recommended that you seek advice about this as early as possible.

You have a duty to inform the relevant authority about becoming a full-time student and being entitled to student funding.

Studying should not affect your eligibility for child tax credit, and most student funding is ignored when calculating your (or your partner's) entitlement to this.

However, a change to the number of hours that you are working may affect your eligibility for working tax credit.

We recommend that you should inform the relevant authority if you become a student and if you are entitled to student funding.

More information about this is available from the Student Advisers in the Student Welfare Team.