TKN in Global Science event
Developing networks in global science and technology: networking event
The School hosted the Transnational Knowledge Networks (TKN) in Global Science networking event on 28 March 2014.
The event stemmed from a research project by doctoral student Miriam Palacios-Callender, which focuses on mobility, migration and networking in the Cuban scientific community. Guests from around the world attended to hear speakers share their expertise on the topic.
See news release about the event.
See a video clip of the event.
This event is part of a programme of research within the Information Management group at the University of West London with Miriam Palacios-Callender (lead investigator) and Stephen A. Roberts, Thomas Roth-Berghofer and Tony Olden. The current focus of this research is a study of mobility, migration and networking in the Cuban scientific community.
The Cuban experience is one case of a wider focus on transnational knowledge networks in science and technology. This is a model for potential developments in emerging scientific communities and diasporas elsewhere. New modes of communication are emerging in response to the digital technologies and media.
The research group is developing projects looking at TKNs in various regions and nations and in particular on the ways in which diaspora networks can help build scientific and intellectual capital. We are currently working with research groups and communities in Spain, Argentina, Venezuela, Portugal, Honduras, Pakistan, Tanzania and Ethiopia.
- Institute of Americas (UCL), UK
- Queen's University, Canada
- Centre of Migration Policies and Society (COMPAS) University of Oxford,UK
- Institut de Recherche pour le Développement (IRD), Montpellier, France
- Asociacion de Profesionales Argentinos en el Reino Unido (APARU)
- Spanish Researchers in UK (SRUK)
- Portuguese Association of Researchers and Students in UK (PARSUK)
- Academia de Ciencias de Cuba
- Universidad de la Habana, Cuba
- University of Manchester, UK
- Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne (EPFL), Switzerland
- Cuban Embassy in UK
- Spanish Embassy in UK
- UWL - School of Computing and Engineering
Palacios Callender, M. & Roberts, S.A. (2012) Mobility, migration and networking within the Cuban scientific community: developing scientific capital in the digital age, VISTAS: Education, Economy and Community 2(1) 2012.
Download paper (pdf, 267kb).