Facts and achievements
A university on the rise
- We climbed 46 places in the Guardian University Guide over the past two years and 37 places in The Times and The Time and Sunday Times Good University Guide in 2018
- We are ranked as the top modern university* in London, 8th modern university* in the UK and 56th university nationally by The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018 and 50th university nationally by the Guardian University Guide 2019.
- 98% of our graduates are in employment or further study within six months of graduation**.
- Our graduates achieve the second highest starting salaries of all the London modern universities.
- The best Student Union in England according to the National Student Survey 2017 with a new bar, café, gym, lounge and office facilities
- Food and product development in the West London Food Innovation Laboratory
- Work has begun on the Westmont Enterprise Hub for students to collaborate with local businesses
- Our consistently high standard of teaching was recognised with a Silver award in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
- We are rated as the best university in London for teaching, learning opportunities, assessment and feedback and academic support, by the National Student Survey 2017
- We are the best modern university in London for student satisfaction*** according to the National Student Survey 2017.
- We are ranked top in London for teaching quality and student experience by The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018.
- Five courses achieved a 100% overall satisfaction rating in the National Student Survey 2017: Accounting and Finance, Acting, Midwifery, Nursing – Children’s Nursing and Health and Social Care: Assistant Practitioner.
- Our courses are highly-acclaimed by students and our Civil Engineering, Law and Accounting courses were rated top in London in the National Student Survey 2017.
- 53% of our students are from the first generation in their family to go to university
- 63% of our students are mature (aged over 21) on entry
- 56% of our students are from black and minority ethnic groups
- 98% of our students are state school educated
These figures are according to the Higher Education Statistics Authority, 2016-17.
- London College of Music has an ongoing partnership with Investec Opera Holland Park.
- The School of Computing and Engineering has one of the first higher education partnerships in the UK with Amazon Web Services.
*Modern universities are defined as higher education institutions that were granted university status in, and subsequent to, 1992. UWL received the rankings listed above when compared to all other modern universities ranked in the guides / surveys cited.
** These are the latest figures according to Employment Performance Indicators (EPI) released by the Higher Education Statistics Agency HESA in 2018.
***According to the National Student Survey 2017 question 27, Overall Satisfaction, compared to other modern universities in London.