Facts and achievements
National Student Survey 2017
We are the best modern University in London for student satisfaction. Other achievements include:
- Number one in the UK for student voice
- In three subject areas, the University is top in London for Civil Engineering, Law and Accounting
- The University of West London has the best Union in the UK, as ranked by students
- Best modern University in London for Learning Resources and Organisation and Management
- Five courses have achieved 100% satisfaction, they are:
- BA Accounting and Finance- BA Acting- BSc Midwifery- BSc Nursing – Children’s Nursing- FdSc Health and Social Care: Assistant Practitioner
TEF - Teaching Excellence Framework
UWL has been awarded a TEF Silver. According to the panel the UWL submission demonstrated evidence of:
- A strategic approach to course design and assessment practices which employers value highly and which stretches, challenges and supports students
- embedded high quality peer mentoring and targeted financial support programmes to support student engagement
- investment in high quality physical and digital resources used by students to enhance learning, with students fully involved in the strategic design of facilities in partnership with the University
- embedding developments from the forefront of research, scholarship or practice within academic programmes
- the implementation of an institutional culture that facilitates, recognises and rewards excellent teaching across the University.
The awarded is granted by HEFCE (Higher Education Funding Council for England), which aims to create and sustain the conditions for a world-leading system of higher education.
Guardian University Guide
We are the best modern university in London and the number 1 increase in the UK - up 38 places to 58 - in the Guardian's University Guide 2018.
- We are the best multi-faculty university in London for graduate employability. 97% of our students are in employment or further study within six months of graduating *
- We are one of the top 100 universities in the UK and one of the top 15 in London.**
- Our graduates have higher average starting salaries than graduates of any other modern university in London.**
- We provide a high quality career-focused student experience connected to the world of work, underpinned by work placements.
- We are the fourth best university in the UK for proportion of mature students**
- Climbed 26 places in The Complete University Guide 2018 - the biggest in the UK
- Second highest spending on facilities of any UK university, according to the Complete University Guide 2018.
- We are a Top 50 university in the UK for student satisfaction.
- We invested over £50 million in a new campus with modern facilities to improve students’ learning and social experience. Our new campus, located in Ealing, opened in September 2015.
- New facilities include a social space in the heart of campus, performance space with seating capacity of over 220, Blast Radio studio for the student radio station, new catering facilities, a new library and a new mock court room.
Awards and achievements
- Winner of 'Outstanding Leadership and Management Team' at THE Leadership and Management Awards 2017.
- The Vice-Chancellor was selected as a finalist for the Most Inspiring University Leader of the Year 2015.
- Law Student Buki Ajimobi won the Young Enterprise Start Up Women in Business Programme Businesswoman of the Year Award.
- Computer Science student Obaro I Johnson won a London Higher award for designing a London is my Campus app for students.
- London College of Music has an ongoing partnership with the English Chamber Orchestra.
- The School of Computing and Engineering has one of the first higher education partnerships in the UK with Amazon Web Services.
Vice-Chancellor Professor Peter John speaks to London Live about our jump in the The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2017 league tables.