Privacy and data protection
The University of West London is committed to the protection of individuals’ rights and privacy. We regard the lawful and correct treatment of personal data as important to our successful operation, and to maintain confidence with our students and staff and other stakeholders.
The University needs to process certain personal data in order to carry out its functions. These data relate to:
- Staff in relation to their contract of employment
- Prospective applicants and applicants to process applications and ensure they are properly informed of the study opportunities
- Students in relation to their studies
- Graduates in relation to creating an alumni community
- Visitors to the University including those coming to University events
- Other third parties with whom it has dealings.
All data is processed in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulations (2018) and the Data Protection Act 2018 which together form the Data Protection Legislation.
For more information about how we use and protect data, please see our Data Protection Policy.
- Privacy notice for staff (PDF, 387kb)
- Privacy notice for students (PDF, 344kb)
- Privacy notice for alumni (PDF, 108kb)
- Privacy notice for applicants (PDF, 254kb)
- Privacy notice for prospective applicants (PDF, 161kb)
- Privacy notice for attendees of University corporate events (PDF, 217kb)
- Privacy notice for visitors and contractors (PDF, 328kb)
- Privacy notice for external examiners (PDF, 310kb)
We only retain personal data as long as we need it to fulfil the purpose for which you provided this information. All data is processed according to our Records Management Policy (PDF, 200kb).
You can find out how long we keep personal data in our Record Retention Schedules:
- Student Services record retention schedule (PDF, 183kb)
- Registry record retention schedule (PDF, 181kb)
- Human Resources record retention schedule (PDF, 184kb)
- IT Services record retention schedule (PDF, 188kb)
- Property Services record retention schedule (PDF, 98kb)
- Office of Development and Alumni Relations record retention schedule (PDF, 177kb)
- Marketing record retention schedule (Recruitment, Admissions and Events) (PDF, 174kb)
- International Office record retention schedule (PDF, 9kb)
- Library Services record retention schedule (PDF, 195kb)
- Academic Quality Office record retention schedule (PDF, 170kb)
How to request your data
You have the right to request the personal data that we hold about you. If you would like to request your data, please use the data access request form below and send any request to email@example.com. Under GDPR, the University is required to respond to your request within one month. If you have any queries about the you can contact our Data Protection Officer.
How to report a breach
If you believe that there has been a breach of data protection, you must inform the University Secretary and the Information Security Manager immediately. Please follow the Data Breach Notification Process (PDF, 320kb).
How to contact us
To find out more about data protection at the University of West London, you can contact our Data Protection Officer.
Further information on data protection
If you would like to know more about the GDPR and data protection generally, please visit the Information Commissioner's website.