Subject areas and courses
All courses fall into the categories of psychology, social work and human sciences.
91% of students on our courses said that they are satisfied with the quality of teaching.
National Student Survey 2017
Studying for a PhD
The School is host to many MPhil/PhD students who are carrying out research in a diverse range of areas.
Staff offer supervision in areas related to their specialist interests and are happy to consider applications from suitably qualified candidates seeking to study in these areas. For further information on studying for a PhD at UWL, see www.uwl.ac.uk/research.
PhD research in the School includes:
- Use of mindfulness meditation in health and well-being
- Complementary and alternative medicine use in irritable bowel syndrome: the influence of illness and treatment representations
- The impact of Pyramid Club interventions on the emotional health and educational outcomes of pupils in early secondary education
- Differences in autonomic function between high and low cardiovascular disease risk patients
- The effect of dietary intervention on glycaemic control in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus
- Women’s experiences of termination of pregnancy for fetal abnormality
- Cross-cultural differences and similarities in drinking motives, expectancies and abstinence in London and Milan
- The relationship between binge drinking, unplanned sexual behaviour, and impulsivity
- Understanding the stepmother's role: quantifying the impact on quality of life and mental health
- Auditory processing of socially relevant information and language acquisition in children with autism
- Bereavement support: a university based intervention.