Visas and immigration

Applying to extend your visa

If you need to extend your permission to be in the UK as a student, you must apply under 'Tier 4' of the new Points-Based System of immigration. You can only apply if you meet certain requirements.

If you are applying to extend your visa and continue studying with UWL, you should speak to Student Advice as soon as possible. To find out when you can come to see an adviser, please call the Student welfare team on 020 8231 2573 ion sheet below, about applying for a Tier 4 Student visa, for more details.

If you want to apply to extend your stay in the UK, but you do not plan to study further, you need to seek advice from a regulated solicitor or immigration adviser regarding your options.

See the information sheet below, about applying for a Tier 4 Student visa, for more details. 

For full guidance on the current Tier 4 rules and requirements, and how to apply, please see UKCISA's website

For information about the current rules, and how to apply to extend your leave within the UK you should also look at:

If you read the information recommended above, you may feel able to complete and submit your application without seeking further advice (you are not required to see an adviser before making an application).

There is a charge for making the application - £448 by post and £948 in person. For an one to one appointment with UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI), your appointment must be before the date that your visa expires.

Please note that it is important that you make your application to extend your permission to be in the UK before your current visa expires. If you apply late, and your application is refused, you will not have an automatic right to appeal. If your visa has already expired, seek advice from a student adviser immediately.

If you have any concerns once you receive a decision from the Home Office (UKVI), please contact Student Advice immediately. There is information about refusals in the information sheet above.

You can also get advice from the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) website.