Visas and immigration

Work in the UK after studying - non EEA students

There are a number of schemes run by the Home Office which may be relevant for students who want to work in the UK after their studies.

For up-to-date information on the schemes available, see the UKVI (Home Office) website or UKCISA (Council for International Student Affairs) website.

The main schemes currently in place for students who want to stay in the UK to work after their studies are:

  • Tier 2 - This tier is for skilled workers who have a job offer from a licensed sponsor.You can switch to this visa from a Tier 4 or other student visa if you have an eligible qualification from a licensed tier 4 sponsor

If you want to stay in the UK under one of these schemes, you must make your application before your visa and right to be in the UK as a student expires. In some cases, you must have successfully completed your course before applying.

If your studies have been sponsored by a government or international scholarship agency, you will usually need their consent in order to stay on in the UK.

For students who have studied at University of West London, eligible qualifications for the Post-Study Work scheme are:

  • a UK recognised degree at Bachelor, Master or PhD level
  • a UK postgraduate certificate in education (PGCE, which is a teaching qualification)

Download guidance and application forms:

  • The UKCISA information sheet 'Working in the UK after your studies' is available on the UKCISA website, it also has a set of notes on completing the application form.
  • The Tier 1 ‘Post-Study Work’ application form and Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) policy guidance can be downloaded from the UKVI (Home Office) website.

Please note: if you are not able to make an application to stay in the UK before your current visa expires, you may need to return to your home country to apply for entry clearance.

The requirements for different schemes may vary, including funds and maintenance requirements and application processes and forms will be different.

You should see the UKVI (UK Visas and Immigration), which is part of the Home Office, website for applicants outside the UK.

For more information on all of the schemes, see: