Visas and immigration

Work in the UK whilst studying - EEA students

All EEA and Swiss national students are entitled to work in the UK.

If you are a national of the Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia or Slovenia, you need to register your work under the Worker Registration Scheme.  Once you have been legally working for 12 months in the UK without a break, you will have full rights of free movement.

There are different restrictions on working and authorisation requirements for nationals of:

  • Bulgaria
  • Romania

UKCISA have an 'EEA work checker' on their website, which you can use to check if you require registration or authorisation in order to work.

Please note: if you’re undertaking a work placement as part of your course, you also need to follow these processes as you would for any other work.

If you are a national of any other EEA country or Switzerland, you do not need any permission to work and are free to take employment in the UK.