Transnational Knowledge Networks (TKN) in Global Science
'Developing networks in global science and technology: networking event'
Date: Friday 28 March 2014
Time: 10am - 6pm
Location: University of West London, St Mary's Road, Ealing, London, W5 5RF.
This event is part of a programme of research within the Information Management group at the University of West London School of Computing and Technology (SOCAT) with Miriam Palacios-Callender (lead investigator) and Stephen A. Roberts, Thomas Roth-Berghofer and Tony Olden. The current focus of this research is a study of mobility, migration and networking in the Cuban scientific community.
The Cuban experience is one case of a wider focus on transnational knowledge networks in science and technology. This is a model for potential developments in emerging scientific communities and diasporas elsewhere. New modes of communication are emerging in response to the digital technologies and media.
The research group is developing projects looking at TKNs in various regions and nations and in particular on the ways in which diaspora networks can help build scientific and intellectual capital. We are currently working with research groups and communities in Spain, Argentina, Venezuela, Portugal, Honduras, Pakistan, Tanzania and Ethiopia.
- CIBER-EU http://ciber-research.eu
- Institute of Americas (UCL), UK http://www.ucl.ac.uk/americas/homepage
- Queen's University, Canada http://www.queensu.ca/artsci/
- Centre of Migration Policies and Society (COMPAS) University of Oxford,UK https://www.compas.ox.ac.uk/
- Institut de Recherche pour le Développement (IRD), Montpellier, France http://en.ird.fr/
- Asociacion de Profesionales Argentinos en el Reino Unido (APARU) http://www.aparu.org.uk
- Spanish Researchers in UK (SRUK) http://sruk.org.uk/
- Portuguese Association of Researchers and Students in UK (PARSUK) http://parsuk.pt
- Academia de Ciencias de Cuba http://www.academiaciencias.cu/
- Universidad de la Habana, Cuba http://www.uh.cu/
- University of Manchester, UK www.manchester.ac.uk
- Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne (EPFL), Switzerland http://www.epfl.ch/index.en.html
- Cuban Embassy in UK http://cuba.embassyhomepage.com/
- Spanish Embassy in UK http://spain.embassyhomepage.com/
- UWL - School of Computing and Technology
Palacios Callender, M. & Roberts, S.A. (2012) Mobility, migration and networking within the Cuban scientific community: developing scientific capital in the digital age, VISTAS: Education, Economy and Community 2(1) 2012. Download paper (pdf, 267kb).