Advanced Communicable Diseases (HBV, HCV, HIV, TB), Substance Misuse and Health Behaviour Intervention Policies - Level 6
Why choose this course?
This course aims to develop health and social care practitioners knowledge and understanding, in relation to communicable diseases (HIV, Hepatitis B and C and Tuberculosis), within the context of substance misuse.
It will focus on:
- Scientific basis of HIV, Hepatitis B and C and Tuberculosis, transmission categories and treatment
- Drug treatment and HIV, Hep C reduction in drug users and drug using sex workers
- Pre-post test counselling for HIV and Hep C and TB
- Drug use and sexual health
- Club drugs, novel compounds and unsafe sex
- Crack use, prostitution, safe sex and communicable diseases
- Evidence-based interventions to reduce the risk of contracting and transmitting communicable diseases in the drug using population
- Harm reduction interventions and theories of behaviour change
- Interactive strategies (eg drama) to improve communication skills, especially with regards to discussing safe sex with clients
- Multiagency working.
Our students have told us 'This course has been enlightening, I've introduced harm reduction interventions in my service' (Mental Health nurse working in secure setting).
This course is also available at Level 7: Communicable Diseases: Risk Assessment and Interventions for Substance Misusers
Evidence of study at Level 5 (Diploma Level).
How will I be assessed?
The assessment for this course is:
- Case Study 100%
How to apply
Choose your preferred start date and location from the options below and click on the 'Apply online' link. We recommend your application is submitted to the University at least two weeks prior to the start of the course.
After your application is accepted and you have been offered a place on the course, you will be sent information about how to enrol. You must complete enrolment before your course starts.
|Start date||Location||Important dates||Course leader||Application link|
|19 September 2017||
Study days (9:30 am - 12:30 pm):
|Raffaella Milani||Next start date will be in September 2018|
This can be taken as a standalone module or the credits can be used towards one of our exciting new courses:
- BSc (Hons) Professional Practice
- BSc (Hons) Substance Use and Misuse Studies
- PgCert/PgDip/MSc Professional Practice (first module in pathway can be studied at L6 - maximum of 20 credits) - badged awards available eg Substance Misuse