Disability support is provided by the Wellbeing Team at the University. They offer a confidential service to all University of West London students and prospective students who have a disability, a specific learning difficulty eg dyslexia or a long term medical condition.
The Wellbeing Team can provide:
- advice and information on disability support and reasonable adjustments at University of West London
- advice and information on extra funding that may be available to disabled students, such as Disabled Student Allowance
- individual Support Plans
- alternative exam arrangements
- a service to provide books in alternative formats to disabled students who cannot access printed materials.
- loan equipment (usually FE and international students)
- liaison with School staff
- assistance in arranging support workers eg: note taker, dyslexia tutor, communication support worker, mentors
- assistance in arranging a diagnostic assessment with an Educational Psychologist, for students who think they have a specific learning difficulty
- assistance with mitigation and appeals (please note, the Wellbeing Team do not represent students at Appeal boards; for this please contact the Student Union).
The Team has experience with working with a wide range of disabilities, including but by no means restricted to:
- specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia or dyspraxia.
- mental health difficulties, such as depression, bipolar disorder and schizophrenia
- chronic fatigue syndrome
- long term medical conditions, such as heart conditions, AIDS and cancer
- unseen disabilities such as diabetes, asthma, epilepsy, brain injuries
- autistic spectrum disorders
- hearing impairments
- visual impairments
- speech impairments mobility or physical impairments
The Wellbeing Team produces a series of leaflets. You can download these below:
- Disability handbook (pdf, 2.3 mb)
- Useful information for disabled students (pdf, 254 kb)
- Understanding Specific learning Difficulty (SpLD) (pdf, 405 kb) - Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, dyscalculia, dysgraphia and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Understanding Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) (pdf, 390 kb)
- Disabled students studying at University of West London. Frequently asked Questions (FAQ's) (pdf, 381 kb).
The Wellbeing Team operates a confidential service within the Team which means that information about a student and/or their disability is not passed on to third parties without student consent.
Where to find us
We are based at the Ealing site, Teaching Centre, Room TC37.
University of West London
St Mary’s Road
Tel: 020 8231 2739