Federal Direct Loan Program for American applicants

Information for Students on Financial Aid

Whether you’re receiving federal, local, private or institutional financial assistance we aim to provide you with all the information you need to process your applications.

Please see our Fees and Scholarship page or refer directly to the International Ambassadors Scholarship or US Federal Loans for more information on these. This section will cover additional information you may need before, during and after your studies at the University of West London.

If you can't find the information you're looking for in the sections below, please feel free to get in touch with our international team at international@uwl.ac.uk.


Student financial aid information

For the following information about US federal student loans, please see our US loans pages:

  • terms and conditions of the Title IV HEA (Higher Education Act) loans.
  • criteria for selecting recipients and determining the award amount.
  • eligibility requirements and procedures for applying for aid.
  • methods and frequency of disbursements of aid.
  • rights and responsibilities of students receiving Title IV HEA student financial aid, including the criteria for continued student eligibility and standards for satisfactory academic progress.
  • terms of loans received as part of the financial aid package, a sample loan repayment schedule and the necessity for repaying loans.
  • procedures and forms by which students apply for assistance.
  • a statement that enrolment in a program of study abroad approved for credit by the home school may be considered enrolment in the home school for the purposes of applying for federal student financial aid; and
  • the exit counselling information the University collects and provides to servicers.

Cost of attendance

We know there are more costs to think about while studying in the UK than just your tuition fees. If you need information about the cost of study books and supplies, room and board, transportation and any other additional costs, please see our Living costs page. Occasionally, there may be additional costs for your course. If so, these will be outlined to you by your department.

Refund policy, requirements for withdrawal and return of Title IV financial aid

For information about the University's refund policy, please see our Policies and Regulations page. Requirements for the return of Title IV funds are published in the University's Return to Title IV (R2T4) Policy (see Related documents on this page).

Academic programme information (educational programme, instructional facilities and faculty)

For information about current degree programmes and other educational and training programmes available at the University, please see our Course search page.

For information about instructional, laboratory, and other physical plant facilities that relate to your academic programme, and for faculty and other instructional personnel, please see the relevant School pages. Should a plan exist to improve your academic programme, this would be communicated to you by the relevant department.

Transfer of credit policies and articulation agreements

We have no transfer arrangements with other schools or institutions, although applicants who have already completed some undergraduate at another university may be allowed to apply for advanced standing at the University of West London.

Copyright infringement policies and sanctions (including computer use and file sharing)

Unauthorised distribution of copyrighted material, including unauthorised peer-to-peer file sharing, may subject you to civil and criminal liabilities.

The University's policies and sanctions related to copyright infringement and peer-to-peer file sharing are available in the University regulations and in the Student handbook.

School and programme accreditation, approval or licensure

In the UK, the power to award degrees is regulated by law. The Privy Council is responsible for the granting of degree awarding powers and university titles. The University's power to award degrees can be found on the UK government website.

If an individual course is accredited by a professional or regulatory body instead, this will be listed on the relevant programme specification.

Drug and alcohol abuse

Policies and penalties associated with drug-related offences are outlined by the Student Handbook.

The US Department of Education provides information on the penalties associated with drug-related offences under the US Higher Education Act.  Should you lose eligibility for your US student loan as a result of these penalties, we will provide you with a written notice which notifies you of your loss of eligibility and advises you of the ways in which to regain eligibility.

Vaccinations policy

Advice about vaccinations is outlined on our Coming to the UK page. Should vaccinations be required for individual programmes of study, for example, courses involving study abroad, this will be communicated to you by your school.

Facilities and services available to students with disabilities

Information about the facilities and services available to students with disabilities, including intellectual disabilities, is available from Disability Support.

Textbook information

Information about any required and recommended textbooks for your course will be provided to you by the academic school. Should you require specific information about textbooks, please contact the relevant school for advice.

Completion/graduation and transfer-out rates for students receiving athletically related student aid

There are extremely few scholarships linked to athletic sports and therefore the University will not disclose data about the recipients’ ethnicity, gender, transfer-out rate or completion rate.

Retention rate

Information on the University’s retention rate is available from the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA).

Completion/graduation and transfer-out rates

Information on the University’s completion and transfer-out rates is available from the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA). Due to the very low non-continuation rate, the University is unable to supply a breakdown of completion or transfer-out rates by gender, ethnicity or recipients of need-based Subsidised loans. This may reveal identifiable information about the individual student, which would contravene the Data Protection Act.

Placement in employment, types of graduate and professional education in which the school's graduates enrol and job placement rates

The Destination of Leavers from Higher Education (DLHE) survey is available from the Higher Education Statistics Agency. The time frames and methodology associated with this survey are also explained on this website.

For undergraduate courses, you can also view useful statistics from the DLHE survey and National Student Survey via the Key Information Sets available through Unistats.

Intercollegiate athletic programme participation rates and financial support data

The University does not have an 'intercollegiate athletic programme' similar to US schools – however, sports information can be found on the University's Sport page.

Security report – missing person notification policy

For information regarding missing student policies, please consult your school.

Privacy of student records

The University is committed to the protection of individuals’ rights and privacy in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 (“the Act”). For further information, please consult The University’s Data Protection Policy which can be found here.

Student loan information published by the US Department of Education

The University will provide information published by the US Department of Education to students at any time that information regarding loan availability is requested, including the rights and responsibilities of students and schools under Title IV HEA (Higher Education Act) loan programmes.

National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS)

If you take out a federal loan at the University of West London, we will submit the details of your loan to NSLDS and this data will be accessible to guaranty agencies, lenders and schools who are authorised users of the data system.

Entrance counselling for student loan borrowers

Prior to the first disbursement, first-time borrowers (other than for Parent PLUS loans) will be provided with comprehensive information on the terms and conditions of the loan and of the borrower’s responsibilities through entrance counselling. At the University of West London, entrance counselling must be completed via StudentLoans.gov before a loan will be approved.

Exit counselling for student loan borrowers

The University will provide exit counselling to borrowers of loans (other than for Parent PLUS loans) shortly before the student borrower ceases at least half-time study at the school. At the University of West London, exit counselling should be completed via StudentLoans.gov. Any student who fails to complete exit counselling via StudentLoans.gov will be emailed a copy of the exit counselling guide, produced by the US Department of Education.

PLUS counselling for student loan borrowers

Prior to the first disbursement, borrowers who are informed by the US Department of Education that they have an adverse credit history (and have obtained an approved endorser or documented to the satisfaction of the US Department of Education that there are extenuating circumstances related to the adverse credit history) will be required to undertake PLUS counselling.  At the University of West London, PLUS counselling must be completed via StudentLoans.gov before a loan will be approved.  

Private education loan disclosures

It is stated clearly on the US loans page that most students at the University of West London are eligible for federal loans and that these are normally much cheaper than private loans.

Code of conduct for education loans

The University's code of conduct for US education loans is as follows:

In order to prohibit a conflict of interest with the responsibilities of an agent with respect to private education loans, all agents at the University with responsibility for US loans are prohibited from:

  • revenue-sharing arrangements with any lender; 
  • receiving gifts from a lender, a guarantor, or a loan servicer;
  • contracting arrangements providing financial benefit from any lender or affiliate of a lender; 
  • directing borrowers to particular lenders* or refusing or delaying loan certifications; 
  • offers of funds for private loans; 
  • call centre or financial aid office staffing assistance; and
  • advisory board compensation.

All agents with responsibility for US loans are reminded at least annually of the code.

*If you are applying for a private US student loan, the University will work with whichever private lender you decide to use, provided they are willing to work with us.

Please note: we are only aware of one lender currently offering such loans, which is Sallie Mae. Sallie Mae is not a preferred lender and this does not represent a preferred lender arrangement.