Advanced Substance Misuse Treatment Interventions - Level 6
Why choose this course?
This course explores evidence based treatment interventions for clients with substance misuse problems. The course will be delivered by research active academics and experienced practitioners with a strong input from service users. It focuses on:
Substance Misuse Treatment Policy (drugs and alcohol)
- Problem alcohol and drug treatment ideological approaches
- Managerial and organisational approaches to substance misuse treatment policy
- The New Drug Strategy: the Recovery model
- NICE guidelines
- A Harm Reduction Approach.
Screening and Assessment
- Identification of hazardous drinking/dependence (including frequency quantity measures; Drinking profiles)
- Screening tools (including biological markers)
- Comprehensive assessment
- Assessing immediate risks (overdose, suicide, communicable diseases).
- Access to treatment
- Diversity and substance misuse treatment and user involvement
Alcohol and Drug Treatment Interventions
- Natural cessation
- Brief interventions
- Withdrawal states
- Pharmacological substance misuse treatments
- Abstinent based Treatment models (e.g. 12 step)
- Relapse prevention
- Holistic and complementary therapies
- Family Interventions
- Available Treatment for Club Drugs, GBL dependence and Novel Compounds
This course is also available at Level 7: Enhancing Assessment and Treatment of Substance Misuse
Evidence of study at Level 5 (Diploma Level).
How will I be assessed?
The assessment for this course is:
- Essay 100%
How to apply
Choose your preferred start date and location from the options below and click on the 'Apply online' link. We recommend your application is submitted to the University at least two weeks prior to the start of the course.
After your application is accepted and you have been offered a place on the course, you will be sent information about how to enrol. You must complete enrolment before your course starts.
|Start date||Location||Important dates||Course leader||Application link|
|16 January 2018||
Study days (9:30 am - 12:30 pm):
|Raffaella Milani||Apply online|
This can be taken as a standalone module or the credits can be used towards one of our exciting new courses:
- BSc (Hons) Professional Practice
- BSc (Hons) Substance Use and Misuse Studies
- PgCert/PgDip/MSc Professional Practice (first module in pathway can be studied at L6 - maximum of 20 credits) - badged awards available e.g. Substance Misuse