The University of West London welcomes applications from students who have been in care or are currently living in care. We offer a wide range of support and guidance to help with specific questions or concerns care leavers may have throughout their time with us.
We are proud to have been awarded the Buttle UK Quality Mark for good practice and commitment to supporting young people in and leaving care.
Support is available for looked-after children and care leavers who are interested in applying to the University, as well as care leavers currently studying here and those progressing from the University into employment.
- A designated member of staff (DMS) from the Outreach Team to provide students with pre-entry support
- Support with the application and admissions process including one-to-one and group information, advice and guidance sessions
- Finance and funding advice
- Aspiration and outreach events including bespoke visits, subject specific taster days and guided University Open Days
- Support for cost of travel to certain University of West London events
- Support to help you make informed choices.
- Information about relevant upcoming events
If you are a care leaver thinking about applying to university or a teacher, support worker, foster parent or guardian wanting to know more, please contact Jenny Tait for advice and support at email@example.com.
- Designated point of contact from the Wellbeing team who act as a first point of contact for any questions about your study, accommodation, finances or university life in general
- 51-week accommodation for care leavers, which means you can live in university residences during Christmas, Easter and summer breaks
- Financial support and bursaries
- Placement and careers support
- If you are a current University of West London students who has lived in care, please contact Ransford Stanley for advice and support at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We can only offer specialised support to students who have declared that they are a care leaver.
You can do this by remembering to tick the box on your UCAS application form that lets us know you have been in care.
Ticking the box is completely confidential and won't be used against you.
Ticking the box will mean that our main point of contact for care leavers can contact you and identify if there is any financial or other support we can offer you before you start your course.
If you are a current UWL student who forgot to tick the box on your UCAS application form, please email Ransford Stanley at email@example.com.