Board of Governors
The Board of Governors is responsible for the strategic direction of the University, including:
- determining the educational character and mission of the University and oversight of its activities
- ensuring the effective and efficient use of resources, the solvency of the University and the Corporation and for safeguarding their assets
- approving annual estimates of income and expenditure
- the appointment and setting the terms and conditions of senior posts holders
- setting the framework for the pay and conditions of service of all other staff
- the assignment and appraisal of the Principal.
The Vice-Chancellor Professor Peter John and his team then implement these decisions.
The details of the Board's work are set out in its Statement of Primary Responsibilities (pdf, 130kb).
Find out more by downloading the Articles of Government (pdf, 52kb).
Download the Scheme of Delegation (384 kb).
Download the Standing Orders (503 kb).
Who is on the Board?
There are 20 members of the Board of Governors:
- 12 independent members
- one co-opted member with experience of the provision of education
- the Vice-Chancellor
- one Academic Board representative
- one staff representative
- one student representative
- one Professoriate representative
- two co-opted members
How does the Board make decisions?
The Board acts on its own and through its six committees.
You can download the terms of reference and membership for each committee below:
- Finance Committee (pdf, 20 kb)
- Audit and Risk Committee (pdf, 32 kb)
- Student Liaison Committee (pdf, 28 kb)
- Governance and Nominations Committee (pdf, 20 kb)
- Remuneration Committee (pdf, 52 kb)
- Workforce Advisory Committee (pdf, 24 kb)
View and download the agendas and minutes from the meetings of the Board of Governors.
The University is committed to the highest standards of openness, integrity and accountability.
It seeks to conduct its affairs in a responsible manner, having regard to the following principles established by the Committee on Standards in Public Life, which members of staff at all levels are expected to observe:
For more information see Standards on public life (pdf, 8 kb)
Governance Review 2012
Download the full Governance Review (pdf, 136 kb)